Here are the big dates that you have may have to take action on
October 1st 2013
Open Enrollment in the Healthcare exchanges begins
January 1st 2014
The individual mandate begins (the penalty for not having insurance)
April 1st 2014
Open enrollment closes
January 1st 2015
The employer mandate goes into effect
For more detailed dates and information see
Good news for veterans receiving healthcare from the Veteran's Administration: You are exempt from this travesty and do not have to participate in ObamaCare. All VA personnel have been telling me this as well as the OCare "navigator" I spoke with on the phone.
People come to TurboTax AnswerXchange for help and answers—we want to let them know that we're here to listen and share our knowledge. We do that with the style and format of our responses. Here are five guidelines:
- Keep it conversational. When answering questions, write like you speak. Imagine you're explaining something to a trusted friend, using simple, everyday language. Avoid jargon and technical terms when possible. When no other word will do, explain technical terms in plain English.
- Be clear and state the answer right up front. Ask yourself what specific information the person really needs and then provide it. Stick to the topic and avoid unnecessary details. Break information down into a numbered or bulleted list and highlight the most important details in bold.
- Be concise. Aim for no more than two short sentences in a paragraph, and try to keep paragraphs to two lines. A wall of text can look intimidating and many won't read it, so break it up. It's okay to link to other resources for more details, but avoid giving answers that contain little more than a link.
- Be a good listener. When people post very general questions, take a second to try to understand what they're really looking for. Then, provide a response that guides them to the best possible outcome.
- Be encouraging and positive. Look for ways to eliminate uncertainty by anticipating people's concerns. Make it apparent that we really like helping them achieve positive outcomes.