turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jlohani
Intuit Alumni

Getting Over Bad Money Decisions

Last week, on the Turbo blog, we talked about ways to forgive yourself and move on from past financial mistakes. CFSW, Marsha Barnes, shared five key ways to move on and get better with your money:

1. Recognize previous spending behaviors and forgive yourself in the process

2. Create a tangible plan addressing one issue at a time

3. Remain dedicated to the process

4. Remind yourself often of your current goals and where you want to be in the future

5. Patience is a virtue; stay the course

What do you think of these tips? Anything you would add from your own experience?

Check out the full post here: https://turbo.intuit.com/blog/relationships/how-to-fall-back-in-love-with-yourself-after-your-financ...

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

Being in a financial turmoil can affect you emotionally as well. I have personally been in such a dire situation and I took a long time to pick myself back up again. It wasn't an easy phase to have to go through and initially I thought there was no way out. I had friends and family for moral support and that kept me going strong. I had assistance with the finances from a local institution and they also had a financial counselor to help lay out a 5-year plan to put things into perspective.

congratulation to you. I am learning to establish a plan, insist..

I was once in the exact same financial situation and that phase of my life was so critical that it changed me. I have learnt to be more careful with my spendings and I only spend with money that I have. In short, I only buy things that I need and can truly afford. Being debt-free is what I aim to maintain moving forward.

@D_Hamilton  Thank you for sharing.  Was the help you received a program that was offered by your city or a private institution?  For those reading, many cities offer free financial coaching.  Go to your cities dot gov site and look around if in need of financial coaching or know someone who is. 

Do you mind sharing your 5 year goals?

nibbidy

Thanks for sharing!

ps7231

New to this 'community' and new to telling my horrible story, but I got scammed out of 2/3 of my assets at the end of 2020 and now I have two tasks ahead of me:

1) Seek professional advice on the taxable events that occurred, something I never reported on in previous filings, and

2) Regain my confidence. I am seriously emotionally damaged.

I will use the CPA resource available through Turbo Tax rather than a local professional I have no experience with or trust in.

In order to maintain a sustainable positive cash flow, I have to live strictly within my austerity budget. And Turbo Tax suits me well, but now I'm being asked to help others do their taxes.

This would build my self-confidence if I could help others, but can I file for several individuals using Turbo Tax on my laptop? Can I select which version of Turbo Tax for each?  Anybody know? 

Why is this thread in the TAX forum  at all ?   

@ps7231 Paid tax preparers are not allowed to use TurboTax.  It would violate the terms of service.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thanks for the tips!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies