turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Warning: Don't use Billshark Service in Partnership with Mint

I'm just sharing my experience in case it might show up and be helpful to someone researching the Billshark service which Mint has partnered with under the lower your Bills section.

The general gist of the service made sense, they negotiate a lower rate on your behalf and take a 40% cut for the convenience of not having to sit through a phone queue and haggle with reps.

The were able to save me 25$ over 12 months with my internet service, of which I have to pay them back 40% for but they are trying to bill for 24 months.

I took a chance out of curiosity because I enjoy both Mint and TurboTax and figured if they went through the trouble of partnering and integrating an entire module with Billshark it should at the very least be legitimate.

However, everything about the Billshark experience was pretty bad.  They needed more insecure information than what was provided in the portal form.  They negotiated savings with my internet provider with 0 transparency and the rep that called me to confirm successful negotiation was very confused around basic questions and told me to wait for another person to call me (which never did).

I logged into my ISP account and was able to see a promotional rate added for 12 months, not 24 months of which they invoiced me.  I called Billshark's billing department and they claimed that my ISP would be adding another promotion applied in the 2nd year and to call back a year later if it doesn't show up -- they also said if I called my ISP to confirm I might receive conflicting info... and that I should pay on faith anyway.

So overall, a good idea with crap execution and I'm surprised Intuit would partner with such a company.  The time I'm spending to fight this bill with Billshark, I could have probably just negotiated a lower rate with the ISP directly.  It also seems pretty predatory to try and screw over people that may not be assertive because they're asking you to negotiate on their behalf.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Mama-Jess
Returning Member

Thank you for the helpful information. I do not recommend a lot of the new tax software out today as most of them are not BBB accredited and lack credibility. Use turbotax. 

Just an update one year later as I received notice my savings was falling off -  my ISP confirmed they would not be offering any discounts in the 2nd year as Billshark claimed would be applied at this time and were expecting me to pay for savings upfront.  I was also signed up for a service that was waived in order to get the savings that would be falling off, so overall would have had to pay more.  Definitely avoid the Billshark service.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies