turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JBJ
Level 3

Usher Voice: These Are My (I've Bought Something Really Dumb in the Last 60 Days) Confessions

I've got a thread going on how to live frugally on another board here, and I'm getting great tips (thanks Team). 

Figured I'd start one on, "Okay, I gotta confess to things I've recently bought and immediately regretted." 

I bought a winter coat recently (a month or so ago). It was on sale. I live in a warm weather climate. I already have a perfectly fine winter coat. There was literally no reason to buy it. But I did. And when it arrived, whatever void I thought it was gonna fill, well, spoiler alert, it didn't. At most I'll wear it 5 - 10 days a year. At. Most. Immediate regret. 

Leaving this to hopefully dissuade me, as a reminder, from doing something similarly dumb these next two months. 

Anyone else recently buy something they almost immediately felt guilty/poorly about? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Usher Voice: These Are My (I've Bought Something Really Dumb in the Last 60 Days) Confessions

I do these kinds of things all the time. For me, an even smaller one made me feel really guilty. I was just skiing and in 3 days I bought 3 chapsticks because I kept losing them in my bag and jacket. When I got home I found all 3. While chapstick isn't expensive, it made me realize how little effort I put in to avoid wasting. 

CheriS
Intuit Alumni

I buy multiple chapsticks with no shame or guilt. They are my weakness! If it makes you feel any better, put those 3 chapsticks in your emergency to-go bag. They are super useful, alternative fire starter and waterproofer. 

jlohani
Intuit Alumni

Yeah. I bought a new pair of earrings. After I just got two new pairs for my birthday (2 weeks ago). All three are gold hoops. I have NO idea why.

Bad/Good news: the pair i just bought were actually kind of broken. So more reason to go return.

JBJ
Level 3

Dumb buy of the week: 

A pair of sunglasses last weekend. I literally don't wear sunglasses. Well, okay, I wear 'em every once in a while. But not enough to justify now having three pairs. WHY? What is wrong with me? 

Goal for the rest of '19: no more darn sunglasses. So, so, dumb. 

hansolo

As I have recently moved in across the street from Universal studios, I felt it to be a good idea to buy an annual pass to the theme park. I have to work and go to school and will probably only make it to the park a few times a month (if even that) but it seemed like a smarter idea to purchase the annual pass (for only $100 more than a daily ticket) than just to purchase a daily ticket or just to not even go in the first place and work on my responsibilities.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies