turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

orbeachbum
Returning Member

Stimulus sent to wrong account

I received the second stimulus deposited into the correct bank account but the IRS is using an old, closed account for the third stimulus. I know TurboTax helped correct bad banking information for the second stimulus, are they doing anything for the third? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

If the IRS had the correct information for the second stimulus check, the only way that they would use a different account than that one for the 3rd stimulus payment is if you instructed them to deposit into a different account. If you filed your 2020 tax return already, for example, and accidentally used the old/closed account and the IRS has already processed your return, then they might have gone by that incorrect information. But, again, unless you told them otherwise, they would use the same account as the second one.

orbeachbum
Returning Member

You would certainly think so but NO, that isn't correct. I filed my 2020 taxes and the IRS used that information to deposit the second stimulus check. I have not done anything since then yet the third stimulus was deposited into an old bank account. My return is still processing so they haven't sent that yet but the only way they got the correct bank account for the second stimulus was from my return. 

Please view this  this IRS link for information about what to do if your payment was issued but not received.

@orbeachbum

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies