turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

What should I do with my refund?

send me a check

marlene dixon
Returning Member

I will on my bills, thank GOD.

marlene dixon
Returning Member

I will pay my bills, thank GOD.

1) Pay Rent 

2) Pay Utilities

3) Pay any Credit Card Bills

4) Pay any Healthcare Bills

5) Save towards Emergency Fund - Figure out what 6 months of your living costs are and put it aside in a different bank account that you never touch

6) Max out your Retirement Accounts

Here’s what works for me:
Do not associate pieces of income with particular expenses. Just add up all income for all sources and make a plan for what you’re going to do with all that money. Every month has irregular income from rebates, OT, tax refund etc, and every month has irregular expenses. It’s easier to add up all the incomes into one number and then decide what to do with that entire amount.
Write down the simple plan of how to spend your money because if it has more than a few items it’s hard for your brain to store it. Your brain should be used a) to think up creative ways to get the things you want with limited money and time and b) ways to make more money. Your brain is much less effective than paper at keeping track of lists.

Jimmyev23

I wish I had a refund, mine is never sent, you would think all you do the IRS world would at least give you something back. I’m so tired of paying taxes.

"mine [refund] never sent"

Do you mean when you fill out your return, it shows you didn't overpay so you don't get a refund?

Or does your return show a refund, and they don't send it?  If that's the case, you should complain.  You may be able to get them to send past years' refunds.  

If you're not entitled to one because you didn't overpay, that's a good thing.  You don't want to overpay and then have to ask for the excess back.

Jaguar231

Invest

Sa28

Save

mparacca

I have a precious 4 year old daughter and we have faught to hell and back to survive a spouse sabotaging jobs, stalking us. forcing us to have to move, withholding child support, hacking into my electronic devices, causing destruction where I stay with little resources. I want to take my tax refund and move away and start again as an artist and paralegal and give her a peaceful life. That's all I want is to not live in fear. 

That sucks. Your problem is only tangentially related to your refund. 

If the refund is big enough to make a difference in your life, they’re withholding too much.  You can update your W-4 and get a bigger paycheck and less refund.  Then you use that money to follow your dreams and get away from the jerk. 

As for the jerk, I would try to let the authorities deal with him.  They’re not perfect, but engaging with him emotionally just encourages him.  If you don’t react, people will eventually see him for what he is, and he won’t be able to affect your jobs.  Find a geek to get him out of your devices, or use a flip-phone temporarily.  It’s easier said than done.  But in a year you’ll see he’s just another low-life.

I would buy a place were we all can live 

marlene dixon
Returning Member

Pay all my bills and God

LOVEADHD

For some context, I wanna buy a house at some point in my life.

"For some context, I wanna buy a house at some point in my life."

This doesn't directly relate to refunds, but it reminds me of how before I bought my first home I thought there was something complicated about it.  But it's all about saving money in a savings account until you have enough for a good down payment.  I was 22 when I first thought about it.  It seemed like forever, but you can save money over time, and it builds up faster than you think because you occasionally get bonuses, OT, odd side jobs, raises, etc.  

If you're getting a big refund, you can update your W-4 form and increase the number of exemptions so they take less money out of your paycheck and you don't have to ask for it back in the form of a refund.  

It's odd how felt like there was some complicated theory behind buying a house at age 22.  It's just saving money, finding any opportunities to make extra money to save, and watching for a bargain on a house.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies