Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

?

need help reporting 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

?

First, yes, you need to report the income.  It should be entered as part of wages on line 1.  At the top of page 22 of the instructions for Form 1040, it tells you what to do and to view Tax Topic 154.  The "shop" might be treating you as an independent contractor, and doesn't need to issue a F1099 until they paid you more than $600.  If they treated in this manner, then you should report the income on Schedule 1, line 8.  Unless you had other income from "self-employment" that would result in earning more than $600, then you should file Sch C.

In short, since the "shop" didn't file a W-2 (and I'm assuming they didn't withhold FICA or Fed Income Tax) and the amount is under $600 (and you have no other side job income that would put you into a Sch C situation) I would suggest reporting the income on Sch 1, line 8.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040gi.pdf

**Disclaimer: Effort has been made to offer correct information; but due to the discussion forum limitations, the poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the poster's response**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies