2018 Roth IRA 1099-R amend instructions for TurboT... - Community

EnglishEN

Pick a language

English Français
Intuit
,Created with Sketch.1 helpful vote

2018 Roth IRA 1099-R amend instructions for TurboTax CD/Download

1. Launch TurboTax and select Continue under the name of your return.
  2. Select File and Save As. Add Amended 2018 return to the file name before you update TurboTax. This will preserve your original return.
  3. Select Online from the menu bar and Check for Updates.
  4. Select the Federal Taxes tab, and then select the Other Tax Situations tab.
  5. On the Other Tax Situations screen, scroll down to Other Tax Forms. Next to Amend a Return, select the Start button (you'll notice the federal refund/tax due monitor change to zero).
  6. On the We’ll help you change (amend) your return screen, select Continue.
  7. On the Did you already file your return? screen, select Yes, I’ve already filed my return. Then select I was contacted by TurboTax and told I may need to amend for some other reason and Continue.
  8. On the Tell Us Which Returns You Want to Amend screen, select I want to amend both my federal and state returns and Continue.
  9. You'll see the screen What do you need to change on your return? Scroll down to the bottom of the page and select Done. (This is an automatic fix. You won't need to make any changes on your return.)
  10. Confirm your mailing address and Continue, answering questions until you reach the Why did you need to amend your return? screen. Enter the following explanation: The originally filed tax return included Roth IRA distributions as taxable income on Form 1040, Line 4b. The amended return correctly reports the nontaxable Roth IRA distributions and AGI. When finished, select Continue.
  11. On the Let’s make sure your taxes are correct screen, select Continue.
  12. On the Let’s Check These Entries screen, select Check Entries.
  13. On the Amended Returns Can’t Be E-filed screen, select Continue.
  14. On the Run Smart Check Again screen, select Run Smart Check.
  15. Your Amended Return Summary will show the differences between your original 2018 and the amended return. Select Continue.
  16. You're ready to print your return to file. On the You’re Done! Print and Mail Your Returns screen, select Print Return and Save Return. Follow the TurboTax Amended Return Filing Instructions for your amended federal and state returns.

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
Intuit TurboTax - Finish filing and get your maximum refund, guaranteed.

Ready to Try TurboTax?

Returning? Sign in