- Launch TurboTax and select and open your 2018 return.
- Select File and Save As, assigning Amended 2018 Form NYC-1127 before you update TurboTax. This will preserve your original return.
- Note: You only need to amend Form NYC-1127. Do not amend your federal or state return.
- Select Online from the menu bar and Check for Updates. Allow TurboTax to update if necessary.
- Go to the Federal Taxes tab (if you're using the TurboTax Home and Business, go to the Personal tab) and select State Taxes.
- On the Let’s work on your state return screen select Continue.
- On the Your State Returns screen select Edit next to New York, and then select Continue.
- On the You just finished your New York Return screen, scroll down and under the Credits and Other Taxes heading select Update next to Credits and Other Taxes line.
- On the Take a look at New York credits and taxes screen scroll down and under New York City Employment Taxes select Update.
- Continue answering questions until you reach the Tell Us About Your NYC Employment screen.
- On the line Withholdings from 2018 Form NYC-1127.2, adjust the amount to reflect the initially filed Form NYC-1127.
- If you initially had a refund, subtract that amount from the Form 1127.2 and enter the result.
- If you initially paid a balance due, add that amount to the Form 1127.2 and enter the result.
- Note: The form doesn't give the ability to enter amount paid or refund with original filing as a separate line, so the two must be combined in this field to calculate the appropriate refund.
- Continue through screens until you see Print and File Form NYC-1127. This means you've finished amending Form NYC-1127.
- Select Print Center in the top-right menu:
- Select All official forms required for filing.
- Check the box next to 2018 New York state return. If the federal and/or other state(s) are checked, uncheck them.
- Select Preview Print Copy.
- Download, print, and save the complete New York State tax return and Form NYC-1127.
- On Form NYC-1127 you'll need to manually enter the following:
- Check the box on the top of page 1 of Form NYC-1127 next to Amended Return.
- Hand write on Page 1, Section 2, Line 4, first column, if necessary: and amount paid (or refunded) with original return.
- Prepare a separate statement that says: Amending 2018 Form NYC-1127 to report the correct Schedule A deductions and correct the NYC-1127 calculation. Enclosed amended Form NYC-1127 includes the amount I paid (or was refunded) with my original filed return. This payment (or refund) has been combined with the withholding reflected on attached Form 1127.2.
- Sign, date, and mail your amended Form NYC-1127 according to the TurboTax Form NYC-1127 Filing Instructions.
- Attach a complete copy of your New York state income tax return including all schedules.
- Attach a copy of your Wage & Withholding statement (Form 1127.2) and your separately written statement.
- Mail your amended Form NYC-1127 and supporting documents to:
NYC Department of Finance
P.O. Box 5563
Binghamton, NY 13902-5563