turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

garnett

I have filed my 2016 tax but turbo tax didn't show anything about "Child Tax Credit" like they talk about on fox news. I didn't have a w2 this year. why did it show this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies

I have filed my 2016 tax but turbo tax didn't show anything about "Child Tax Credit" like they talk about on fox news. I didn't have a w2 this year. why did it show this?

"why did it show this?"

Why did what show what?
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
garnett

Didn't show about the $1800 per family for child tax credit. Look at fox news

There is no $1800 per family for child tax credit.  I have no clue how or what FOX news is reporting.  

Refunds are being delayed if your tax return has Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)
AND/OR
Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC)

If you don't have either of these types of credits on your return, there shouldn't be any mandatory delay with your refund.

Is this what you are referring to?
garnett

EITC or ACTC didn't come up at all! I have two kids and it would have been nice to have gotten the $1800

If you qualified for it then TurboTax automatically computed it.  Child Tax Credit is not refundable it only reduces your tax liability, only the Additional Child Tax Credit is refundable.

If you have 2 children under the age of 17, then you should have qualified.  Look at the copy of your printed return, Child Tax Credit would be shown on line 52 of the 1040  or Line 35 of the 1040A.  It is up to $1000 per child.
garnett

line 52 shows 0

Is line 44 0 as well?  What about Line 67?
garnett

44 is 0 and 67 is also 0

Line 44 is tax liability.   No tax liability, no child tax credit.   That's why you didn't get the credit.
garnett

So now I am confused. So is fox new wrong? If I don't have a w2 then we don't get anything back for our kids?

Yes, the news stations want peoples attention and tend to make blanket statements about complex issues without taking each person's unique situation into consideration.

If you have no "earned income" (money you earned from working) you don't qualify for Earned Income Credit.
If your investment or other types income doesn't generate any tax liability, you wont receive any Child Tax Credit.
garnett

Thank You.

Youre welcome.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies