Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wctilley

How do I notify IRS of my wife's death on my joint return using turbo tax? How do I sign her name?

My wife died 12/4/16 and I'm wondering out how to complete the joint filing for 2016 using turbo tax

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

How do I notify IRS of my wife's death on my joint return using turbo tax? How do I sign her name?

When you begin in TurboTax, in the "Getting Started with TurboTax" section, if you used TurboTax last year and have transferred in last year's data, the program asks you to review the personal information about "You and Your Family"

You will have to make the following changes to indicate that you are filing as "Widowed", and the order of changes here assumes that your name is the first name that was entered last year.  

1. See image #1 below- you will still file a joint return in the year of your late wife's death [and there are certain provisions that may allow you to do so the second year also].
  2. In describing yourself see image #2, you will change your marital status from "Married" to "Widowed" and indicate the year of death of your late wife.
  3. In reviewing the personal data for your wife, you will change data in the 3rd section as shown in image #3 - and answer "Yes" to the question "My spouse passed away before filing this return." and enter the Date of Death in the fill-in box right below that.

You will still be filing in status "Married Filing Jointly."     If your wife received in her own name income after her death, you will have to allocate that income separately on an Estate Filing Form 1041.  If this is an issue, please come back and ask about that.

If this posted response is useful to you, please click on the upraised hand in the lower left of this post. Thank you. Scruffy Curmudgeon--PFFM/ IAFF, retired FireFighter/Paramedic - Locals 718/30, Veteran USAR O3 AIS/ASA '65-'67

NOT INTUIT EMPLOYEE
USAR 64-67 AIS/ASA MOS 9301 - O3

- Just donating my time
**Say Thanks by clicking the thumb icon in the lower left corner -it means nothing but makes those than answer feel wanted.
wctilley

Thank you so very much!

You are most welcome - and sorry to hear of your wife's death.  The Taxation system does not make a death in the family any easier - unfortunately.
If this posted response is useful to you, please click on the upraised hand in the lower left of this post. Thank you. Scruffy Curmudgeon--PFFM/ IAFF, retired FireFighter/Paramedic - Locals 718/30, Veteran USAR O3 AIS/ASA '65-'67

NOT INTUIT EMPLOYEE
USAR 64-67 AIS/ASA MOS 9301 - O3

- Just donating my time
**Say Thanks by clicking the thumb icon in the lower left corner -it means nothing but makes those than answer feel wanted.

Your wife can't sign, obviously. When filing Jointly "as surviving spouse", your signature is all that is required.

See IRS Pub 559 "Survivors..." available at <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://www.irs.gov">www.irs.gov</a> for all the details of how to file.

It doesn't seem to let me e-file.  I have her PIN for e-filing but it doesn't ask me to enter it anywhere.  The error message I'm getting is as follows:

IND-032-04 - 'SpousePriorYearPIN' or 'SpousePriorYearAGIAmt' in the Return Header must match the e-File database.

I can file via snail mail, but would prefer to e-file.

JohnW222
Expert Alumni

Please see the TurboTax Help article E-file reject IND-031-04 or IND-032-04: The AGI or Self-select PIN from last year doesn't match IRS ...for guidance in getting past this reject.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies