turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

heng0052

I live in Washington, D.C. but work in Maryland. How do I know if I have double-taxed income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JessicaJ
Intuit Alumni

I live in Washington, D.C. but work in Maryland. How do I know if I have double-taxed income?

Your W2 should tell you which state taxes were withheld for (in box 15).  Since you live in DC, this should be DC and you then only need to file DC taxes.

"If you work in Maryland but reside in a reciprocal tax state (Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia or Washington, D.C.),and your only income from a Maryland source is wages, you can be exempt from Maryland income tax and Maryland withholding tax on those wages."

Source: http://taxes.marylandtaxes.com/Individual_Taxes/Individual_Tax_Types/Income_Tax/Filing_Information/D...

View solution in original post

1 Reply
JessicaJ
Intuit Alumni

Your W2 should tell you which state taxes were withheld for (in box 15).  Since you live in DC, this should be DC and you then only need to file DC taxes.

"If you work in Maryland but reside in a reciprocal tax state (Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia or Washington, D.C.),and your only income from a Maryland source is wages, you can be exempt from Maryland income tax and Maryland withholding tax on those wages."

Source: http://taxes.marylandtaxes.com/Individual_Taxes/Individual_Tax_Types/Income_Tax/Filing_Information/D...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies