turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Rejected with correct agi

I keep getting my return rejected because my agi doesn't match last years. It was carried over from last years turbo tax. I pulled up that return and the number matches. That return was filed on time last year.How do I correct this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

133 Replies

If you have correctly entered the 2016 AGI as shown on the 2016 tax return that was filed and accepted by the IRS and your 2017 tax return continues to be rejected by the IRS for an incorrect AGI, then the problem is with the IRS database for 2016 AGI's.  This is not uncommon and you will not be able to correct the problem.  The tax return will have to be printed and mailed to the IRS.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for the procedure to print a tax return for mailing when using the desktop CD/Download editions for Windows - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1943980-how-do-i-print-and-mail-a-return-in-the-turbotax-for-windo...

ejb5729

I am having the same issue. However, my state only allows for us to e-file, printed returns are not accepted. How should I go about filing?

Your state will allow the state return to be printed and mailed if the software you are using will not support an e-filed state tax return.

I received my 2017 transcript that shows my Adjusted gross income as $13,282.00 but my tax filing still gets rejected with incorrected AGI data from Federal.

@melAOPdiver wrote:

I received my 2017 transcript that shows my Adjusted gross income as $13,282.00 but my tax filing still gets rejected with incorrected AGI data from Federal.

That is entirely possible if 1) you filed late in 2017 and the AGI never got to the IRS e-file AGI database, or 2) the IRS database is wrong, as is often is.

The only option is to print and mail the tax return.  There is no way to get the IRS to modify or correct a data base error.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Try using 0 for the AGI.  If that doesn't work you will have to print and mail it this year.  

When did you file 2017? If it was late in the year try putting in zero for the AGI and see,
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/rejections/help/what-if-i-entered-the-correct-agi-and-i-m-still-ge...

Wouldn't putting a 0 for the 2017 AGI when the amount is actually something else constitute a false filing?  Has the IRS approved this method for correcting their database rejection?

It's not false.  If you filed 2017 late in the year like after Sept the IRS won't have the AGI in the right database so you have to put zero.   And if you haven't filed 2017 yet then of course it's zero now.  It's just to verify you to the IRS.  Even if you filed a 2017 return on time but amended it later you would use the original AGI.  

Did you see this FAQ?  

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/rejections/help/what-if-i-entered-the-correct-agi-and-i-m-still-ge...

@David66 

@David66 wrote:

Wouldn't putting a 0 for the 2017 AGI when the amount is actually something else constitute a false filing?  Has the IRS approved this method for correcting their database rejection?

The AGi you enter is NOT part of your tax return.   It is simply to identify you to the IRS e-file system by matching the 2017 AGI with what they have stored in their database.   If you filed late in 2017 then they have nothing in the database so zero is the correct amount.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

My e-file 2018 Federal Tax was rejected several times after I had checked my 2017 AGI and found it to be accurate.  TurboTax even automatically entered the correct number.  The key was finding out that filing an extension causes your AGI to be zero in the IRS database.  I entered zero for my AGI and Voila!  It was accepted!  This should help a lot of people out, saving much inconvenience of having to print out and physically  mailing to the IRS.  Thanks for the info!!!

@erniepj - Filing  an extension does not cause your AGI to be zero in the IRS database - filing *late* (after the April 15 due date) whether or not an extension was filed causes that years AGI not to get entered into the database so it is zero.

@Savageeyes    Your post is blank.  Do you have a question?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Savageeyes
Returning Member

Yes I need them done bye Friday. Can I get help

@Savageeyes You are posting on someone else's thread.

You need to get *what* done by Friday?   And why by Friday?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies