Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

treyfergy

Why can't i claim my mom on my return? It keeps getting rejected saying she has filed as primary

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

Why can't i claim my mom on my return? It keeps getting rejected saying she has filed as primary

Your mom can't be a dependent on your return if she has already filed a tax return.  You can remove her off your return and you will be able to e-file.  

If she did not file a return or erroneously filed a return, you can claim her, but you will have to file by mail.  You won't be able to e-file with her on your return.  And if you file by mail and keep her as a dependent, she will need to file an amendment to ''unclaim'' herself.  

Everyone can only be claimed on 1 tax return.  Here are the rules for claiming Qualifying Relatives on your tax return.  

Qualifying relative

• They don't have to be related to you (despite the name).
  • They aren't claimed as a dependent by someone else.
  • They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.
  • They aren’t filing a joint return with their spouse.
  • They lived with you the entire year.
  • They made less than $4,150 in 2018.
  • You provided more than half of their financial support.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Sounds like she filed her own tax return.

Can you just ask her?
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

Your mom can't be a dependent on your return if she has already filed a tax return.  You can remove her off your return and you will be able to e-file.  

If she did not file a return or erroneously filed a return, you can claim her, but you will have to file by mail.  You won't be able to e-file with her on your return.  And if you file by mail and keep her as a dependent, she will need to file an amendment to ''unclaim'' herself.  

Everyone can only be claimed on 1 tax return.  Here are the rules for claiming Qualifying Relatives on your tax return.  

Qualifying relative

• They don't have to be related to you (despite the name).
  • They aren't claimed as a dependent by someone else.
  • They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.
  • They aren’t filing a joint return with their spouse.
  • They lived with you the entire year.
  • They made less than $4,150 in 2018.
  • You provided more than half of their financial support.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies