turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I was married up until mid December 2016 but since I was divorced on December 31, 2016 it's telling me to file single.

Is this accurate? Should I really file single even though I was married for 11.5 Months in 2016?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I was married up until mid December 2016 but since I was divorced on December 31, 2016 it's telling me to file single.

Your marital status is determined by the last day of 2016.  If you were single as of December 31, 2016, then for your 2016 tax return you are either Single or Head of Household (if you qualify).

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Your marital status is determined by the last day of 2016.  If you were single as of December 31, 2016, then for your 2016 tax return you are either Single or Head of Household (if you qualify).

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Manage cookies