Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

In previous years I received refund from my 1098-T. In 2017 I was enrolled in two institutions (undergrad and grad), I am paying more but not receiving any refund. Why?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anita01

In previous years I received refund from my 1098-T. In 2017 I was enrolled in two institutions (undergrad and grad), I am paying more but not receiving any refund. Why?

Your graduate school expenses do not count for the American Opportunity credit, the one that can pay you cash over and above tax you had withheld from a  paycheck.  The undergraduate classes can count for the American Opportunity credit but the largest portion of it, $1500, can only reduce your taxable income to zero, not pay you additional cash.  The Lifetime Learning credit, which can be taken for graduate expenses, can also only reduce your taxable income to zero, but does not pay you anything after that.  So, the graduate expenses may not be worth anything to you, if you don't have enough taxable income to use that credit.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Anita01

Your graduate school expenses do not count for the American Opportunity credit, the one that can pay you cash over and above tax you had withheld from a  paycheck.  The undergraduate classes can count for the American Opportunity credit but the largest portion of it, $1500, can only reduce your taxable income to zero, not pay you additional cash.  The Lifetime Learning credit, which can be taken for graduate expenses, can also only reduce your taxable income to zero, but does not pay you anything after that.  So, the graduate expenses may not be worth anything to you, if you don't have enough taxable income to use that credit.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies