turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

caraimp

Can my employer produce my 2018 W-2 upon my resignation in two weeks? Or do I have to wait until 1/31/19?

I am submitting my resignation and I'm concerned that the company will go out of business in the next few months. My employer doesn't provide pay stubs, so I wouldn't have the ability to use Form 4852 if they never send my W-2 next year.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can my employer produce my 2018 W-2 upon my resignation in two weeks? Or do I have to wait until 1/31/19?

Your employer is not obligated to provide your 2018 W-2 until January 31, 2019.  Based on what you said, it would be nice if they did.  However, the IRS has not released the 2018 W-2 form yet.

Knowing that your employer may not be around, make sure to keep accurate records of the income you received as well as any tax withholding.  You can do this by making copies of the checks you received.  You could also ask your payroll department to provide a statement detailing the total income you were paid as well as how much tax was withheld.  This is actually pretty easy for them to do.

If you do not receive a W-2 next year, no worries.   TurboTax can help you generate a Substitute W-2.  Try to get your employer's EIN (Employer Identification Number) just in case.  You may need this next year.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Your employer is not obligated to provide your 2018 W-2 until January 31, 2019.  Based on what you said, it would be nice if they did.  However, the IRS has not released the 2018 W-2 form yet.

Knowing that your employer may not be around, make sure to keep accurate records of the income you received as well as any tax withholding.  You can do this by making copies of the checks you received.  You could also ask your payroll department to provide a statement detailing the total income you were paid as well as how much tax was withheld.  This is actually pretty easy for them to do.

If you do not receive a W-2 next year, no worries.   TurboTax can help you generate a Substitute W-2.  Try to get your employer's EIN (Employer Identification Number) just in case.  You may need this next year.

caraimp

Thanks so much! This is so helpful. I'll see if I can get that statement before I go, just in case they are hard to reach next year.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies