turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

myruger01

If I claim my 18 year old son who works will he still qualify for his own refund?

my 18 year old son made around 3000 on his own. If I claim him as a dependent will he still qualify for his own refund?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SherekaB

If I claim my 18 year old son who works will he still qualify for his own refund?

Your dependent can file his own return to get back any withheld taxes. Be sure he selects that someone else can claim him as a dependent on his return. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Carl
Level 15

Yes. Your son MUST select the option for "I can be claimed on someone else's return" when he starts his own return. With only $3K of income for the year, he'll get all withheld taxes refunded to him.

Does he have a W-2, or a 1099-MISC?
SherekaB

Your dependent can file his own return to get back any withheld taxes. Be sure he selects that someone else can claim him as a dependent on his return. 

Hal_Al
Level 15

A dependent, who makes less than $6350, will get back all of his withholding allowed, even though he can't "claim himself". State taxes might vary slightly. He cannot get back social security or Medicare tax withholding, regardless of whether he claims himself or not.
myruger01

Thank you very much. that was my question I really needed to know.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies