turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kathym

My dependent (daughter) has a 1099-g what do i do

do I put it on my taxes as a 1099-g? Hers did not ask for it?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Your daughter's 1099-G cannot go on your tax return. It has to go on her tax return. Is the 1099-G for unemployment benefits, a state income tax refund, or something else?

It was Montana state refund from 2015 but her taxes did not ask for this form.
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Your daughter does not have to enter the 1099-G or report the state refund unless she claimed an itemized deduction for state income tax on her 2015 federal tax return. She claimed an itemized deduction for state income tax if there is a Schedule A in her federal tax return, box 5a (Income taxes) is checked on the Schedule A, and there is an amount greater than zero on line 5 of the Schedule A.

If she did claim an itemized deduction for state income tax on her 2015 federal tax return, here's how to enter the 1099-G in TurboTax.

• Click the Federal Taxes tab.
  • Click Wages & Income.
  • Click "I'll choose what I work on" or "Jump to a full list."
  • On the screen "Your 2016 Income Summary," scroll down to the section "1099-MISC and Other Common Income."
  • Click the Start, Update, or Revisit button for "State and Local Tax Refunds on Form 1099-G."

Did you have to claim

your dependent daughter 1099-G on your personal tax return. Since you claim her ? 

No.  If a dependent has income it would only go on their return if they are required to file.  Why did she get a 1099G?  Unemployment is taxable.  And if you don't owe tax on it she can file to get any withholding taken out back.  

Filing requirements for a dependent

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/children-dependents/help/do-i-need-to-file-my-own-taxes-if-i-m-a-d...

No. She must claim it herself.

Your dependent's 1099-G cannot go on the parent's tax return even if they claim the child. It has to go on the dependent's tax return if they are  required to file one. 

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies