turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: I work for lyft and don't have EIN for them and its requierd to complete my tubo tax.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Tax Year Prior to 2020: I work for lyft and don't have EIN for them and its requierd to complete my tubo tax.

You would only need an EIN for them if you were filling out a 1099-MISC form.  (This is not the same as a 1099-K form).  Most of the Lyft drivers receive a 1099-K form, but there is no actual place to enter that form into TurboTax. (That form is just for information to assist you.)  You will report the total amount of income you earned in the General Income area for business. 

If you did fill out a 1099-MISC form in the software, but didn't receive one, you will want to go back and remove it.  Then, enter your income as General Income in the business area of TurboTax. 

Another reason it is asking for an EIN is perhaps you didn't select the box to use your own name, address, and social for your business income.  You can change that in the Business Profile area.

How to get to that area  While inside the software and working on your return, type Schedule C in the Search at the top of the screen (you may see a magnifying glass there).  There will be a popup that says Jump to Schedule C.  Select that to get to the general area. 

When you set up your business, you can use your own name, address, and social security number. Then, when done with the Business Profile:

• then, Business Income and Expenses
  •  select Edit next to your business (if it is there already)
  • scroll to Business Income

Select that and delete the 1099-MISC if you did not receive one.  If you did receive one, the EIN will be on the form as Taxpayer's ID.  It will be in the following format XX-XXXXXXX.  

There will be a screen after the 1099-MISC screens to enter other business income as General Income.  

Also, this link may be helpful to you IRS Small Business Help Center . 

Manage cookies