turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I was enrolled in college from Jan 2018- April 2018 not full time but did pay for everything completely out of pocket are there any deductions or anything I can do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If I was enrolled in college from Jan 2018- April 2018 not full time but did pay for everything completely out of pocket are there any deductions or anything I can do?

You would not qualify for the American Opportunity Credit because you were not at least a half time student for at least 1 day of 5 different months. You might qualify for the Lifetime Learning Credit. Go to the education section of TurboTax and complete the step by step interview. 

CORRECTION: See the comment below for the correct answer. The question is whether you paid for the courses taken in 2018 in 2018 or 2017. If you paid in  2017 they must be claimed on a 2017 tax return. The other issue is how old you were since there are some restrictions on someone under the age of 24 who claims themselves. If you use the step by step interview in TurboTax, it will let you know whether you qualify or not.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

You would not qualify for the American Opportunity Credit because you were not at least a half time student for at least 1 day of 5 different months. You might qualify for the Lifetime Learning Credit. Go to the education section of TurboTax and complete the step by step interview. 

CORRECTION: See the comment below for the correct answer. The question is whether you paid for the courses taken in 2018 in 2018 or 2017. If you paid in  2017 they must be claimed on a 2017 tax return. The other issue is how old you were since there are some restrictions on someone under the age of 24 who claims themselves. If you use the step by step interview in TurboTax, it will let you know whether you qualify or not.

From Pub 970:
• For at least one academic period beginning in 2018
(or the first 3 months of 2019 if the qualified expenses
were paid in 2018), the student was enrolled at least
half-time in a program leading to a degree, certificate,
or other recognized educational credential.
(The 5 month rule applies to the definition of a qualifying child student who needs to be full time.)

So you are eligible for the American Opportunity Credit if no one is claiming you as a dependent and you are otherwise qualified.  Pub 970 has all of the gory details.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies