turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kgray250

Can I claim my boyfriend as a dependent if he filed in the past, claimed a dependent that had already been claimed, and never resolved the issue?

My boyfriend tried to claim his ex as a dependent a few years ago, but someone had already claimed her so he never received a redund. He never re-filed or tried to resolve the problem and ended up quitting his job the next year. I've been working and meet all the criteria to claim him, but I don't know if they would withhold my taxes or anything if I did since he never received anything. Would I have an issue claiming him as a dependent? Or do they solely check for duplicate claims?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anita01

Can I claim my boyfriend as a dependent if he filed in the past, claimed a dependent that had already been claimed, and never resolved the issue?

You would not have an issue with a dependent.  This IRS will not check for any amounts owed, only for someone else trying to claim him.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Anita01

You would not have an issue with a dependent.  This IRS will not check for any amounts owed, only for someone else trying to claim him.

kgray250

Thank you so much !

Did you live together all year long?  Did he have more than $4050 of income?

kgray250

Yes we have lived together for 3 years and no he did not make over $4,050

Then you can claim him with no problems. If he is filing a tax return be sure he indicates that someone else can claim him.
kgray250

Thank you very much

You're welcome
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies