Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Invested in promissory note and received first year interest in advance. So a 30,000 note cost me 27,000. where do I report the 3,000 difference. Did not receive 1099

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anita01

Invested in promissory note and received first year interest in advance. So a 30,000 note cost me 27,000. where do I report the 3,000 difference. Did not receive 1099

You would indeed include the interest income as though you received a 1099-INT.  You can fill that out a 1099-INT for the interest even though you didn't receive one.  It doesn't matter as long as you claim the interest.  Remember when the note matures to add any interest claimed in that or any prior year as an addition to cost basis.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Carl
Level 15

@TaxGuyBill I know this is reported in the Investment Income section under the Personal Income tab. But in that section would is be reported in the sub-section for Straddles & Contracts? Or in the section for Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other?

would the 3,000 be included in interest income section same as if I were receiving interest during the year.  ANy issue since no 1099?
Anita01

You would indeed include the interest income as though you received a 1099-INT.  You can fill that out a 1099-INT for the interest even though you didn't receive one.  It doesn't matter as long as you claim the interest.  Remember when the note matures to add any interest claimed in that or any prior year as an addition to cost basis.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies