turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When mailing your return for federal what do i need

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

When mailing your return for federal what do i need

You will need to print the return without all of the additional worksheets and include any W-2s, 1099s, or other tax forms, that have tax withholdings from them. The IRS doesn't need the worksheets. Put any schedules and forms behind your Form 1040/1040A in the order of the "Attachment Sequence No." shown in the upper right hand corner of the schedule or form.

Make sure you sign it. If you do not, they will mail it back to you. If you owe taxes, make sure to include check or money order (unless you pay it on their website). And you may want to consider sending it certified mail so that you know when they receive it. 

You can use these links for steps to help you print, if needed. The link you choose depends on version of software you used. 

If you mail your federal return and are expecting a refund you can start checking the status of your return on the IRS website Where's My Refund 4 weeks after mailing your return. It takes that amount of time for it to show up in their system, sometimes a bit longer if they are backed up. 

You only want to call them if it’s been at least 6 weeks since you mailed and at that time, you can reach them at the IRS tax refund hotline at 800-829-4477, Monday - Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. Or, call the 24-hour ­assistance number at 800-829-1040

If you mail state return, choose your state here How do I track my state refund? and it will provide you instructions on how to check the status of your state return on your state's website. 

Other Related Topics: 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies