turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MSWCPA

IF MY 2016 REFUND IS MORE THAN MY 2017 ESTIMATED TAXES FOR THE ENTIRE YEAR, MAY I APPLY ANY EXCESS TO MY 2018 ESTIMATED TAXES?

MY GOAL IS TO ELIMINATE HAVING TO PAY ESTIMATED TAXES IN 2017, AND PERHAPS 2018.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

IF MY 2016 REFUND IS MORE THAN MY 2017 ESTIMATED TAXES FOR THE ENTIRE YEAR, MAY I APPLY ANY EXCESS TO MY 2018 ESTIMATED TAXES?

You will have to re-apply it on your next years tax return, but you can keep forwarding any refund amount to estimated taxes.  TurboTax will give you this option to apply any refund to estimated taxes during the interview.

Example:  You have a $6,000 refund in 2016 and are scheduled to make estimated tax payments of $3,000 for 2017.  You can apply the whole $6,000 refund to your estimated taxes for 2017.  Then, when you file your 2017 tax return, you can apply any refund to your 2018 estimated taxes.  Lets keep it simple and say everything stays the same so you have a $3,000 refund in 2017.  Now, you can apply it to your 2018 ES taxes.  But, you will have to mark that option on your 2017 return.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You will have to re-apply it on your next years tax return, but you can keep forwarding any refund amount to estimated taxes.  TurboTax will give you this option to apply any refund to estimated taxes during the interview.

Example:  You have a $6,000 refund in 2016 and are scheduled to make estimated tax payments of $3,000 for 2017.  You can apply the whole $6,000 refund to your estimated taxes for 2017.  Then, when you file your 2017 tax return, you can apply any refund to your 2018 estimated taxes.  Lets keep it simple and say everything stays the same so you have a $3,000 refund in 2017.  Now, you can apply it to your 2018 ES taxes.  But, you will have to mark that option on your 2017 return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies