turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Our granddaughter lived with us and her mother claimed her. How can I fix this? I didn't know she was going to claim her; but she can't - she lived with us all year.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Our granddaughter lived with us and her mother claimed her. How can I fix this? I didn't know she was going to claim her; but she can't - she lived with us all year.

You will have to file by mail in order to claim her.  The IRS will contact both your and Mom, and ask for proof of residency.

But is Mom in the military?

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Did you grandchild's mother also live with you?  A few more details might clarify for us.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

No, she didn't.

Granddaughter lived with us all year; her mother never lived with us.

You will have to file by mail in order to claim her.  The IRS will contact both your and Mom, and ask for proof of residency.

But is Mom in the military?

No, my daughter wasn't in the military.  Thank you all for responses.  Sadly my daughter just feels entitled; she didn't even see her daughter but twice all year.

You are caring Grandparents. I hope Daughter is paying child support.

If a dependent that you are entitled to claim has already been claimed by another taxpayer, your e-filed return will reject since the child's SSN has already been used.

Your only recourse is to file a correct tax return, claiming what you are entitled to claim, then print and mail the return.

The IRS will process both returns and pay any refunds.   Shortly (within a year or more) the IRS will mail letters to both taxpayers asking if their tax return was filed in error and suggesting that they amend if they improperly claimed the child.

If neither taxpayer amends, the IRS will send a second letter asking for each taxpayers proof that they are entitled to claim the dependent, such as proof that the child physically lived with them more than half the year.   School records, child care records, household receipts, medical bills, etc., that show that the child lives with you should be retained.

The IRS will evaluate each taxpayers claim and award the dependent to one taxpayer, the other will have to payback any refund received plus interest and possible penalties.   The taxpayer that had physical custody usually always wins.

Do not ignore the letters or you will loose.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Thank you; I am good at the paperwork and will provide documentation when I send the return to shorten the process.  I have all documentation of her living with her and my guardian status.
Manage cookies