turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My husband died dec 21, 2017. he was a 100% disabled veteran. I am not sure how to file for 2017 . do I still list his information when I file for 2017.?

social security did not send me a ssa 1099 for my husband for 2017

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

My husband died dec 21, 2017. he was a 100% disabled veteran. I am not sure how to file for 2017 . do I still list his information when I file for 2017.?

In the year of a spouse's passing you can file your tax return as Married Filing Jointly.  When entering your spouse's information in the My Info section of the TurboTax program you will indicate that they passed away and the date of passing.

The Social Security Administration will send you a Form SSA-1099 sometime in the month of January for the Social Security benefits received in 2017.  Enter the information from the SSA-1099 on your tax return.

You should still get the SSA-1099 for  him.  I haven't got mine yet either.  Has anyone?
gaylynn9

yes I have received my spouses's SSA-1099 but it is wrong. The benefit amount includes the December 2017 payment that they reclaimed in January 2018. Will they send me a negative SSA-1099 for 2018?? I dont want to pay taxes on the December payment. What do I do, any suggestions?
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies