turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

joehanish

Michigan return-- what is the amount owed to the state before quarterly payments have to be made this year?

If I owe the state of michigan $550 this year,  will that trigger quarterly payments this year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Michigan return-- what is the amount owed to the state before quarterly payments have to be made this year?

You should be safe this year.  Here is an excerpt from the following Michigan website:  Why am I being charged penalty and/or interest? - State of Michigan (click on link for further information):

Underpaid Estimate Penalty and Interest - A taxpayer that reasonably expects its tax liability for the year to be greater than $800 is required to make quarterly estimated payments. To avoid interest and penalty charges, estimated payments must equal at least 85% of the total tax liability for the current year and the amount of each estimated payment must reasonably approximate the tax liability for that quarter. If the prior year’s tax, including surcharge, is $20,000 or less, estimated tax may be based on 100% of the prior year’s total tax liability. This is known as a safe harbor provision. (NOTE: The safe harbor provision is not allowed for 2008 MBT tax year.)

Since the amount you owe is less than $800, you should not have a penalty.  However, I always recommend preparing the estimated payments, because you never know when your situation will change.  If you pay in at least the amount of Total Tax due this year during the 2018 fiscal year by timely estimated payments, you will avoid future penalties.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

You should be safe this year.  Here is an excerpt from the following Michigan website:  Why am I being charged penalty and/or interest? - State of Michigan (click on link for further information):

Underpaid Estimate Penalty and Interest - A taxpayer that reasonably expects its tax liability for the year to be greater than $800 is required to make quarterly estimated payments. To avoid interest and penalty charges, estimated payments must equal at least 85% of the total tax liability for the current year and the amount of each estimated payment must reasonably approximate the tax liability for that quarter. If the prior year’s tax, including surcharge, is $20,000 or less, estimated tax may be based on 100% of the prior year’s total tax liability. This is known as a safe harbor provision. (NOTE: The safe harbor provision is not allowed for 2008 MBT tax year.)

Since the amount you owe is less than $800, you should not have a penalty.  However, I always recommend preparing the estimated payments, because you never know when your situation will change.  If you pay in at least the amount of Total Tax due this year during the 2018 fiscal year by timely estimated payments, you will avoid future penalties.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies