turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mgallelli

My college student daughter is my dependent and earned $8,850 in W2 income. I know she has to file but can she still get her own exemption when she files???

When she tried filling on her own through turbotax it allowed her to take the standard deduction for single person even though she declared that I am claiming her as a dependent. Yet, I read that she cannot take the standard deduction if she is my dependent.  Which is correct?
Thanks
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

My college student daughter is my dependent and earned $8,850 in W2 income. I know she has to file but can she still get her own exemption when she files???

She can take the standard deduction for a dependent, which is $350 + the dependent's earned income, up to $6300. In your daughter's situation, she'd get the whole $6300.

She does not, however, get to claim her own exemption, since you are claiming her.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

She can take the standard deduction for a dependent, which is $350 + the dependent's earned income, up to $6300. In your daughter's situation, she'd get the whole $6300.

She does not, however, get to claim her own exemption, since you are claiming her.

mgallelli

Thank you!
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

You're welcome!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies