Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

marthamck

The amount calculated as 1/2 self-employment tax deduction was not carried over to my 1040, why?

Turbo Tax shows a one-half self-employment tax deduction on schedule SE, however it did not reduce my self-employment tax on form 1040.  Why is that?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

The amount calculated as 1/2 self-employment tax deduction was not carried over to my 1040, why?

You pay the full amount of self-employment tax, but you get a deduction against your taxable income for half. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies

You're correct, it does not reduce self employment tax...it reduces income.  You should see it on Line 27 of Schedule 1
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

You pay the full amount of self-employment tax, but you get a deduction against your taxable income for half. 

Why isn't it reducing the income?  I am reviewing the tax return 1040 and although I see Schedule 1 reporting the health insurance and the 1/2 of SE tax, it does not compute it on the tax return. 

Is schedule 1 part of the itemeized return?  That doesn't make sense?

We show only $ 936 Taxable income with $$6438 of income adjustment on Schedule 1 but it doesn't reduce the taxable income nor the $1668 in SE tax.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies