turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

POD Beneficiary Claim

My mom passed away this summer and left her kids including me the money she has accumulated in 2 banks, equally divided. It was not from 401K or IRA accounts. The amount of money is several thousand dollars. I submitted the beneficiary POD claim at the bank and received the money after a few weeks. I received a 1099-INT form from the bank for $10.74 which I assume is the interest gained between her death and me getting the $ but have no 1099 or tax forms from the bank for the several thousands of $. Do I need to pay taxes on the several thousand dollars I received or just the $10.74 interest I received. Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
jtax
Level 10

POD Beneficiary Claim

You only need to pay income tax on the interest received.

Gifts are not taxable. Inheritances are gifts.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/102

26 U.S. Code § 102 - Gifts and inheritances

(a)General rule

Gross income does not include the value of property acquired by gift, bequest, devise, or inheritance.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

8 Replies
jtax
Level 10

POD Beneficiary Claim

You only need to pay income tax on the interest received.

Gifts are not taxable. Inheritances are gifts.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/102

26 U.S. Code § 102 - Gifts and inheritances

(a)General rule

Gross income does not include the value of property acquired by gift, bequest, devise, or inheritance.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

POD Beneficiary Claim

Thank you
myTax
Returning Member

POD Beneficiary Claim

Should 1099-INT form, from the bank for $10.74 be reported as interest under her mom's estate and not hers ?   (not on the beneficially 1040 income tax return)

2)  Does POD bank account bypasses estate account altogether and becomes owned by the beneficially immediately after owner's death since it avoids probate ? 

My mother passed away this summer as well. 

POD Beneficiary Claim

@myTax wrote:

Should 1099-INT form, from the bank for $10.74 be reported as interest under her mom's estate and not hers ?   (not on the beneficially 1040 income tax return)

2)  Does POD bank account bypasses estate account altogether and becomes owned by the beneficially immediately after owner's death since it avoids probate ? 

My mother passed away this summer as well. 

Interest paid prior to the date if death is the account owners interest and goes on the deceased final tax return.  Interest paid after the date of death is the estates or beneficiary of the account (if the bank account was a joint account or had a named benificuary) and goes on the estate or beneficiaries tax return.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
myTax
Returning Member

POD Beneficiary Claim

Thank you for the quick reply. 

As a follow up question,  -->  Interest paid after the date of death is the estates or beneficiary of the account (if the bank account was a joint account or had a named benificuary) and goes on the estate or beneficiaries tax return.

Assuming that bank POD account named her as beneficiary, 

Does this mean that she get to "choose"  if,   $10.74 be reported as interest under her mom's estate (mom's 1041 estate tax return)  or  hers ? (her own individual 1040 tax return)

POD Beneficiary Claim

@myTax wrote:

Does this mean that she get to "choose"  if,   $10.74 be reported as interest under her mom's estate (mom's 1041 estate tax return)  or  hers ? (her own individual 1040 tax return)

No,    If there was a benificuary of the account then the estate has nothing to do with it.    It either goes on Mom's final tax return or the beneficiaries, depending if the interest was paid before death or after (or some of each in which case it would be prorated.   (For $10.74 I  would not worry about where it is reported - if thousands of dollars then it would make a difference.)

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
myTax
Returning Member

POD Beneficiary Claim

Thank you again,

So to make sure I understand this, 

For POD bank account naming her as beneficiary,

1)  interest was paid before death,  ( $10.74 )  report it on mom's 1040 individual tax return

2)  interest was paid after death,  ( $10.74 )  report it on her 1040 individual tax return

3)  in either case,  1041 fiduciary return is NOT required ( no estate exists )

4)  This is true for interest greater than $600 or if  interest in the amount of thousands of dollars are paid

Is this correct ?

POD Beneficiary Claim

@myTax wrote:

Thank you again,

So to make sure I understand this, 

For POD bank account naming her as beneficiary,

1)  interest was paid before death,  ( $10.74 )  report it on mom's 1040 individual tax return

2)  interest was paid after death,  ( $10.74 )  report it on her 1040 individual tax return

3)  in either case,  1041 fiduciary return is NOT required ( no estate exists )

4)  This is true for interest greater than $600 or if  interest in the amount of thousands of dollars are paid

Is this correct ?

#1 & 2 if the total years interest was $10.74 then only the part if that that was prior to death would go on mom's tax return and the part paid after death on the beneficiaries return, but for that amount of interest, just report it to whose SSN is on the 1099-INT that reports the interest.  If the 1099-INT is in Mon's name and SSN then report the entire amount on her final tax return.   It is simply not worth prorating (and explaining with nominee elections)  for such a small amount.   

#3 If the bank account passed directly to the beneficiary then the estate is not involved at all.

#4 Any amount.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies