turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I must include my tax return WITH a W7 to request an ITIN for my English husband (non-resident). But TT website won't let me complete my return without ITIN/SSN. Help!

We have the W7 ready, and I have the return ready - we just can't use this website without giving an SSN or ITIN. But the .gov site says we must submit the W7 WITH this year's return. Must I do everything by hand and submit?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
NiaW

I must include my tax return WITH a W7 to request an ITIN for my English husband (non-resident). But TT website won't let me complete my return without ITIN/SSN. Help!

You may use the software to prepare the return but choose the option to 'Print and Mail' because you will need to include your W7 Form.

To get past Turbo Tax asking for a SSN and be able to print the return, when asked to provide the spouse's Social Security number enter all 9's. After printing your tax return, you will have to erase or white-out the erroneous Social Security number entered for the spouse on Form 1040.  In the box for the spouse's SS number write in NRA (non-resident alien).

View solution in original post

1 Reply
NiaW

You may use the software to prepare the return but choose the option to 'Print and Mail' because you will need to include your W7 Form.

To get past Turbo Tax asking for a SSN and be able to print the return, when asked to provide the spouse's Social Security number enter all 9's. After printing your tax return, you will have to erase or white-out the erroneous Social Security number entered for the spouse on Form 1040.  In the box for the spouse's SS number write in NRA (non-resident alien).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies