I'm married, but my spouse doesn't have a SSN (she lives outside the Country and she is not either US Citizen or Permanent Resident)

You have two options in this situation.  

First, you can file as married, filing separate, and omit your spouse's income from your return.  Second, you can elect to treat your spouse as a resident alien for tax purposes.  There are several issues to consider in making this choice.  Here's more information and directions for you to consider:

I'm confused.... my spouse lives and works in the UK and is a UK citizen,I live and study and work in USA and am a USA citizen. He does not work in america or live here or even visit. How should I file without including him.

form 1116

so for Married filing SEPARATELY, your spouse does not have to file for ITIN?

what if my spouse will get the SSN soon? Do I still need to file W-7?

You have two options in this situation.  

actually your website does not allow for the option you suggest here... you may want to look into that... makes you look very foolish and unprofessional if you can't deliver on what you recommend.

This does NOT WORK!!!!!

It will not allow to skip this step as stated!!!! It will not allow to go past and print without fixing the SSN filled in all 9's as instructed only to be removed when printing!

how hard is it to add an option for "not applicable" to spouse's SSN field? wasting my time on TurboTax if I can't even efile because I have to print it out and use white out...

I noticed that this answer was provided 3 years ago. Has the income tax return rules changed since then? Does a non-resident alien spouse must now have SSN or ITIN?

no one gave me a clear answer. every turbo tax agent I spoke to gave me different answer

I'm attempting to enter "married, filing separately" for my taxes, however it will not allow me to bypass my husband's information on the Turbo Tax form.