turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

deal49

Will turbo tax pay state tax due

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PeterM

Turbo Tax only does what you "tell" it to do. When you filed your tax return (federal and state) you would have had to chosen how you were going to pay your state taxes due...either through a bank draft (as described below) or with a check sent in directly. You may want to log back into your tax return to see how you set-up the payment.

Conversely...

Funds are usually withdrawn on the payment date you specified, assuming your e-filed return has been accepted (received) by the IRS and your state. If you did not or do not remember selecting a date...It will normally default to April 18th (current year deadline).

If that date happens to fall on a weekend or federal holiday, the funds are usually withdrawn the next business day.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
PeterM

Turbo Tax only does what you "tell" it to do. When you filed your tax return (federal and state) you would have had to chosen how you were going to pay your state taxes due...either through a bank draft (as described below) or with a check sent in directly. You may want to log back into your tax return to see how you set-up the payment.

Conversely...

Funds are usually withdrawn on the payment date you specified, assuming your e-filed return has been accepted (received) by the IRS and your state. If you did not or do not remember selecting a date...It will normally default to April 18th (current year deadline).

If that date happens to fall on a weekend or federal holiday, the funds are usually withdrawn the next business day.

bsbryan27

What if turbo tax determines you owe nothing,  while the state claims you owe double what your refund was supposed to be?

The state will be sending you a letter explaining why.  Please post back (on a new thread) after you get it.
bears1234

My State Tax has not been  paid even though I entered my bank information on Federal tax

You have to enter your bank information separately in the Federal section, then again in the state section...because:
1)  Some people may not use the same back account for both Fed and state
2)  And some people will use a credit card to pay one, and a bank account for the other.
3)  AND some states don't allow you to arrange to pay at all when you efile...and you have to pay the state separately yourself, either by check, on the state's own payment website.

IF you haven't filed your state, look for your payment options during the filing process.

IF you have filed your state already, save a new PDF file of your tax return, and then look at the state copy of the "Electronic Filing Instructions" at the start of the state PDF section.  That will show you what you actually entered for your payment to the state (IF..IF it was possible to do so).  IF you did arrange a DirectDebit...then the Bank account routing number, account number, and debit date will show on that Instructions form
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
wcovey
Returning Member

I did this, and the amount owed was supposed to be paid by my bank on  Monday, April 13, 2020, however, there is no record of any amount being paid

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies