turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have paid for my daughter's health insurance, but she is not a dependent under 26. She has earned too much. How is that recorded on her taxes?

Do I enter my Form 1095 information into the page in her TurboTax form?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have paid for my daughter's health insurance, but she is not a dependent under 26. She has earned too much. How is that recorded on her taxes?

It doesn't matter how much she made if someone else paid her premiums (except she can't deduct them). In her situation, she just says "covered for the entire year" on her tax return. No extra forms are needed.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

It doesn't matter how much she made if someone else paid her premiums (except she can't deduct them). In her situation, she just says "covered for the entire year" on her tax return. No extra forms are needed.

Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

You have a shared plan and have to allocate the figures between the two tax returns. See the screen shots below.  The pro-rations must add up to 100%. You can also click on the blue link.  What percentage of the following policy amounts do you want to claim on your tax return?  See "How do I figure out these percentages?" when you get to that screen.

Child/Children on another tax return

If you share a policy with someone who is claimed on another tax return (usually a child), you can take the number of people on your tax return who are covered on that plan and divide it by the total number of people on the plan. This would be your percentage of premiums, SLCSP and advanced payment of the premium tax credit, unless you agreed on a different number beforehand

I am afraid that my phrasing was wrong.  My daughter is under 26, but not a dependent because of the amount of money she earned, under $7000.  She is living at home now and is between careers.  Does this change your answer?
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

No, the shared plan is when you have someone who shared your ACA plan but files their own tax return.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies