Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My dad is somehow claiming me as a dependent. I'm 27 and live on my own. he helps me on occasion but less than $500 a year. how do I go about correcting this matter?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My dad is somehow claiming me as a dependent. I'm 27 and live on my own. he helps me on occasion but less than $500 a year. how do I go about correcting this matter?

You have a problem with your dad.   Sorry.   If you are over the age of 23 and not a full-time student he cannot claim you unless you had less than $4150 of income in 2018 and he provided over half of your support.  If he has somehow filed an incorrect (fradulent?) return claiming you, your own e-file will be rejected.  Print it, sign it and mail it.  Let Dad know the IRS will be sorting out who could claim you.  It will take up to a year, but both of you will hear from the IRS.  If he received any extra refund for claiming you , he will have to repay it.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

3 Replies

You have a problem with your dad.   Sorry.   If you are over the age of 23 and not a full-time student he cannot claim you unless you had less than $4150 of income in 2018 and he provided over half of your support.  If he has somehow filed an incorrect (fradulent?) return claiming you, your own e-file will be rejected.  Print it, sign it and mail it.  Let Dad know the IRS will be sorting out who could claim you.  It will take up to a year, but both of you will hear from the IRS.  If he received any extra refund for claiming you , he will have to repay it.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I made almost 30k last year. He claims h&r block says he's still able to do so for a few more years. I had slacked on changing my address though because I've moved a decent amount over the past few years and I figured just keeping my address at post office would be beneficial for me until I'm settled for awhile. I had since forgotten about it. Is that considered a loop hole for him? I've changed it since doing taxes for this year.

No. No loophole because of your address. Either your dad is not being honest with you or his H&R Block person is incompetent.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies