turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lukeout13

My wife is a stay at home mom. She did not work last year, just stayed home and watched our kids. Do we still need to file jointly or would I file and claim her as a dependant?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My wife is a stay at home mom. She did not work last year, just stayed home and watched our kids. Do we still need to file jointly or would I file and claim her as a dependant?

You get an exemption for your wife by filing married jointly. Filing jointly results in same exemption as a dependent. A spouse cannot be named as a dependent. Filing married jointly is almost always the best way to file for married couples.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

my girl friend is a stay at home mom can i claim her as a dependent

You get an exemption for your wife by filing married jointly. Filing jointly results in same exemption as a dependent. A spouse cannot be named as a dependent. Filing married jointly is almost always the best way to file for married couples.

You can not claim your wife as a dependent. Married Filing Jointly is usually the best for married people, and you can use that even if one of you has little or no income.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies