turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a $27+k deduction relating to the car used for my business, why does that deduction not give me a greater refund?

I have been deducting mileage expense for my sales job for several years.  i got divorced and started filing single head of house hold this year and the prior 2 years.  i noticed as i progressed through the process of completing a return that as i input the info for mortgage interest and state taxes, my in refund would increase after each entry.  prior to me filing as single head of household, when i entered the mileage expense, i got a significant bump in the refund...not any more.  is this because i'm not filing as married with dependents???

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have a $27+k deduction relating to the car used for my business, why does that deduction not give me a greater refund?

You drive approx 50,000 miles a year on business?

Since you are a W-2 employee, only the amount that is in excess of 2% of AGI counts as an itemized deduction.

Once your taxable income is down to zero, though, you gain no further benefit.

Conversely, itemized deductions phaseout at high income levels. or, maybe you are subject to AMT.  The triggers for those are different for HOH than for MFJ. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901539-how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-filing

Also, under the new tax law, unreimbursed employee business expenses go away starting with 2018 tax returns filed in 2019. So talk to your employer.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Anita01

is this a W-2 job

yes

No reimbursement?

none

You drive approx 50,000 miles a year on business?

Since you are a W-2 employee, only the amount that is in excess of 2% of AGI counts as an itemized deduction.

Once your taxable income is down to zero, though, you gain no further benefit.

Conversely, itemized deductions phaseout at high income levels. or, maybe you are subject to AMT.  The triggers for those are different for HOH than for MFJ. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901539-how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-filing

Also, under the new tax law, unreimbursed employee business expenses go away starting with 2018 tax returns filed in 2019. So talk to your employer.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies