Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Divorce and children

Divorce final 4/2016. Divorce decree states I claim one of the children, she claims the other. Joint legal and physical custody with 3 nights/week with me and 4 nights/week with her.
Questions:
1. Do I input info into turbo tax for child I DON'T claim as dependent?
2. For child I DO claim as dependent, what do I put for turbotax question of how long she lived with me?  I ask because I input "all year" and it's suggesting I should receive head of household benefit which I think is incorrect
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

Divorce and children

You don't input the child that you are not claiming as a dependent. Because your ex has the majority custody, she is the custodial parent of both children. So, she enters both children each year (unless the physical custody changes). She will indicate that you are claiming one of the children as a dependent.

Because you are not treated as the custodial parent, there would be no reason to enter the child you are not claiming as a dependent. For the child you are claiming as a dependent, be sure not to indicate more than 5 months of living with you. The benefit of being the custodial parent goes with her, so your indication of the "months" shouldn't conflict with that. The IRS doesn't see the months you input, but the program might trigger custodial benefits if you put more than 5 months. You can put 4, 5...whatever... just leave it there.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

Divorce and children

You don't input the child that you are not claiming as a dependent. Because your ex has the majority custody, she is the custodial parent of both children. So, she enters both children each year (unless the physical custody changes). She will indicate that you are claiming one of the children as a dependent.

Because you are not treated as the custodial parent, there would be no reason to enter the child you are not claiming as a dependent. For the child you are claiming as a dependent, be sure not to indicate more than 5 months of living with you. The benefit of being the custodial parent goes with her, so your indication of the "months" shouldn't conflict with that. The IRS doesn't see the months you input, but the program might trigger custodial benefits if you put more than 5 months. You can put 4, 5...whatever... just leave it there.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies