turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I fill out a 1099 or S-EZ as a freelance writer who earned a total of $500? Do I have to file at all?

I read that freelancers who earn more than $400 have to file an income tax form, but because it wasn't $600 or more I wasn't provided a form by the employer. I'm confused as to where and how to start this process.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Should I fill out a 1099 or S-EZ as a freelance writer who earned a total of $500? Do I have to file at all?

You don't fill out a 1099-MISC and your customer is not obligated to provide one.

As an "independent contractor" you are obligated to keep your own books and records of income and expense, and report those numbers properly on Schedule C which becomes part of your income tax return. 

You do have to file, you do have to fill out a Schedule C, you enter your revenue and expenses from your own books and records, (which might be as simple as a check register.)  That does mean you can't use the TT FreeEdition as it doesn't support the preparation of Schedule C.

Tom Young

View solution in original post

2 Replies

You don't fill out a 1099-MISC and your customer is not obligated to provide one.

As an "independent contractor" you are obligated to keep your own books and records of income and expense, and report those numbers properly on Schedule C which becomes part of your income tax return. 

You do have to file, you do have to fill out a Schedule C, you enter your revenue and expenses from your own books and records, (which might be as simple as a check register.)  That does mean you can't use the TT FreeEdition as it doesn't support the preparation of Schedule C.

Tom Young

You might be able to use the Tax Freedom website when it opens later.
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://turbotax.intuit.com/taxfreedom/">https://turbotax.intuit.com/taxfreedom/</a>
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies