turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

zaroney56

I paid alimony to ex-spouse in December. we are filing married jointly for 2018. When I enter the amount it errors because his SSN is on the same return. Do I report it?

Turbo Tax identifies the alimony paid and received in December as an error because our divorce agreement stipulated we would file married jointly 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I paid alimony to ex-spouse in December. we are filing married jointly for 2018. When I enter the amount it errors because his SSN is on the same return. Do I report it?

You cannot deduct alimony paid or include alimony received on a joint return when the payor and payee are the same people that are on the return.  It would be almost like you are paying yourself since you are on the return together. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies

If you were not legally married on 12/31/2018 you cannot file as Married, either Jointly or Separately.  If you have not remarried then you can only file as Single or if eligible Head of Household.
zaroney56

In CA there is a six month waiting period before the divorce becomes effective.  Our divorce date is 13/17/18 but does become final until 6/18/19. My divorce agreement states I pay alimony beginning Dec 2018
zaroney56

Oops 12/17/2018

You cannot deduct alimony paid or include alimony received on a joint return when the payor and payee are the same people that are on the return.  It would be almost like you are paying yourself since you are on the return together. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies