I paid alimony to ex-spouse in December. we are filing married jointly for 2018. When I enter the amount it errors because his SSN is on the same return. Do I report it?

Turbo Tax identifies the alimony paid and received in December as an error because our divorce agreement stipulated we would file married jointly 

You cannot deduct alimony paid or include alimony received on a joint return when the payor and payee are the same people that are on the return.  It would be almost like you are paying yourself since you are on the return together. 

If you were not legally married on 12/31/2018 you cannot file as Married, either Jointly or Separately.  If you have not remarried then you can only file as Single or if eligible Head of Household.

In CA there is a six month waiting period before the divorce becomes effective.  Our divorce date is 13/17/18 but does become final until 6/18/19. My divorce agreement states I pay alimony beginning Dec 2018

Oops 12/17/2018