turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am wondering if i can claim my wife as a dependant? and if so can they take my taxes for her student loans?

she made very little money less than 5 or 10 k
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am wondering if i can claim my wife as a dependant? and if so can they take my taxes for her student loans?

You cannot claim a spouse as a dependent.  You would want to file as Married Filing Jointly even if one spouse has little or no income.  You will receive the highest standard deduction of $12,600 and you each receive a personal exemption of $4,050.

If your spouse has unpaid debt, such as student loans, then you can file a Form 8379 Injured Spouse Allocation with your tax return when filing as Married Filing Jointly.  This will prevent the IRS from seizing your portion of the tax refund.

See this TurboTax support FAQ on Form 8379 - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1910698-how-do-i-file-form-8379-injured-spouse-allocation

View solution in original post

2 Replies

You cannot claim a spouse as a dependent.  You would want to file as Married Filing Jointly even if one spouse has little or no income.  You will receive the highest standard deduction of $12,600 and you each receive a personal exemption of $4,050.

If your spouse has unpaid debt, such as student loans, then you can file a Form 8379 Injured Spouse Allocation with your tax return when filing as Married Filing Jointly.  This will prevent the IRS from seizing your portion of the tax refund.

See this TurboTax support FAQ on Form 8379 - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1910698-how-do-i-file-form-8379-injured-spouse-allocation

And if you live in a community property state (Arizona, California, Idaho, Louisiana, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Washington, or Wisconsin) then the 8779 will not protect the community part of the refund - but filing separately in a community property state is even worse since you must allocate income between both spouses.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies