turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Message: "You have claimed your spouse's exemption on a return with a married filing separate status" my husband is disabled so he doesn't file. What do I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SeanE1

Message: "You have claimed your spouse's exemption on a return with a married filing separate status" my husband is disabled so he doesn't file. What do I do?

You can still file a married filing jointly, (MFJ) tax return if your husband is not required to file a tax return.  That way you will get to claim your husband as an exemption and have a more favorable tax rate along with enhanced deductions and credits compared to filing married filing separately, (MFS).

When you file MFS, you can only claim yourself and not your husband, that is why you are getting that message. So my advice would be to go back and choose MFJ.  You will pay a lot less in taxes by doing so.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
SeanE1

You can still file a married filing jointly, (MFJ) tax return if your husband is not required to file a tax return.  That way you will get to claim your husband as an exemption and have a more favorable tax rate along with enhanced deductions and credits compared to filing married filing separately, (MFS).

When you file MFS, you can only claim yourself and not your husband, that is why you are getting that message. So my advice would be to go back and choose MFJ.  You will pay a lot less in taxes by doing so.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies