turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My company is not withholding anything for federal from most of my checks because they tend to be less than $380. How do I get the proper amount withheld?

I work on an as needed basis for a small hospital, the work is sporadic and my checks vary widely in amount. There is no federal income tax withheld from most of my checks because they tend to be less than $380. I file as married with no exemptions, allowances, or dependents. Corporate payroll says that federal income tax is not withheld from checks with gross pay of less than $380 but they are unable to make recommendations on how to increase how much federal income tax is withheld from my checks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

My company is not withholding anything for federal from most of my checks because they tend to be less than $380. How do I get the proper amount withheld?

You can fill out a new Form W4 and include an "extra" amount of federal withholding on Line 6.  Depending on your tax situation, you could put $50 on Line 6 and they would take $50 out of each paycheck.  

Here is a link to Form W4, you can print it out, complete it and then give it to your Employer: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4.pdf.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

You can fill out a new Form W4 and include an "extra" amount of federal withholding on Line 6.  Depending on your tax situation, you could put $50 on Line 6 and they would take $50 out of each paycheck.  

Here is a link to Form W4, you can print it out, complete it and then give it to your Employer: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4.pdf.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies