turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hi I have a quick question my husband is a non resident and has an itin number we are going through immigration to make him legal how do I do my tax return?

Just shy of a year marriage I know that I won't qualify for earned income credit  but I just need to know the steps to take we pay into taxes...he is not working and hasn't been for a while so we don't have a w2 for him trying to figure this out
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Hi I have a quick question my husband is a non resident and has an itin number we are going through immigration to make him legal how do I do my tax return?

You can file as married filing jointly, just put his ITIN number in where it asks for his SSN.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

You can file as married filing jointly, just put his ITIN number in where it asks for his SSN.

So there is no other information needed to file

If you file jointly, you have to list any income that he has anywhere in the world.

And do I claim him as a dependent because he has not worked but a couple weeks and then he got hurt on the job so he has been a stay at home dad

No. You can not ever claim a spouse as a dependent. Filing as Married Filing Jointly takes care of that.

Oh well he hasn't worked anywhere else he been here for 9 years worked 2 weeks out the year this past year 2016 so how do I go about that

You can file as married filing jointly whether one of you has little or no income, that does not matter at all, and there is nothing special about it. Just go through the Turbotax interview and answer the questions.

Awesome your so helpful thank you

Thank you
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies