turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My 64 yr old mother-in-law lives at home with us. We pay for all of her room and board. She gets a SS check for $870/mo. Can I claim her as a dependent?

also she purchased a rental property in August, which she had approx $15,000 in expenses to get it livable.  She collected $5600 in rent.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Phillip1

My 64 yr old mother-in-law lives at home with us. We pay for all of her room and board. She gets a SS check for $870/mo. Can I claim her as a dependent?

You can claim your mother-in-law as a dependent if all of the following requirements are met:

1. The must have live with you for the entire year or be one of the following relationships:
  • our child, stepchild, foster child, or a descendant of any of them (for example, your grandchild). (A legally adopted child is considered your child.)
  • Your brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, or stepsister.
  • Your father, mother, grandparent, or other direct ancestor, but not foster parent.
  • Your stepfather or stepmother.
  • A son or daughter of your brother or sister.
  • A son or daughter of your half brother or half sister.
  • A brother or sister of your father or mother.
  • Your son-in-law, daughter-in-law, father-in-law, mother-in-law, brother-in-law, or sister-in-law.
  • They cannot have gross income of more than 4,050 dollars for 2016.
    • For this test, tax-exempt income, such as certain social security benefits, isn't included in gross income.
  • You must have provided more that half of their support. As mentioned above, any of the disability income used for their support is counted as support provided by the adult dependent. See Worksheet 2 on page 16 of IRS Publication 501.
  • View solution in original post

1 Reply
    Phillip1

You can claim your mother-in-law as a dependent if all of the following requirements are met:

1. The must have live with you for the entire year or be one of the following relationships:
    • our child, stepchild, foster child, or a descendant of any of them (for example, your grandchild). (A legally adopted child is considered your child.)
    • Your brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, or stepsister.
    • Your father, mother, grandparent, or other direct ancestor, but not foster parent.
    • Your stepfather or stepmother.
    • A son or daughter of your brother or sister.
    • A son or daughter of your half brother or half sister.
    • A brother or sister of your father or mother.
    • Your son-in-law, daughter-in-law, father-in-law, mother-in-law, brother-in-law, or sister-in-law.
  • They cannot have gross income of more than 4,050 dollars for 2016.
    • For this test, tax-exempt income, such as certain social security benefits, isn't included in gross income.
  • You must have provided more that half of their support. As mentioned above, any of the disability income used for their support is counted as support provided by the adult dependent. See Worksheet 2 on page 16 of IRS Publication 501.
  • message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
    Manage cookies