turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If i took care of my mother for 12 months and she is disabled is there anyway that i can claim her as an dependent?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

If i took care of my mother for 12 months and she is disabled is there anyway that i can claim her as an dependent?

UPDATED FOR TAX YEAR 2019

You can claim your mother as a dependent if she meets the four tests as a "qualifying relative:" 

1.  Not a qualifying child - Since she is your mother, she meets this test.

2.  Member of household or relationship test – Your mother doesn't necessarily have to live with you, but it's OK if she is.

3.  Gross income test - To meet this test, a person's gross income for the year must be less than $4,200.  Gross income is all income in the form of money, property, and services that isn't exempt from tax.

4. Support test - To meet this test, you generally must provide more than half of a person's total support during the calendar year.  You figure whether you have provided more than half of a person's total support by comparing the amount you contributed to that person's support with the entire amount of support that person received from all sources. This includes support the person provided from his or her own funds.

[Edited | 4/8/2020 |  11:27am PDT]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

UPDATED FOR TAX YEAR 2019

You can claim your mother as a dependent if she meets the four tests as a "qualifying relative:" 

1.  Not a qualifying child - Since she is your mother, she meets this test.

2.  Member of household or relationship test – Your mother doesn't necessarily have to live with you, but it's OK if she is.

3.  Gross income test - To meet this test, a person's gross income for the year must be less than $4,200.  Gross income is all income in the form of money, property, and services that isn't exempt from tax.

4. Support test - To meet this test, you generally must provide more than half of a person's total support during the calendar year.  You figure whether you have provided more than half of a person's total support by comparing the amount you contributed to that person's support with the entire amount of support that person received from all sources. This includes support the person provided from his or her own funds.

[Edited | 4/8/2020 |  11:27am PDT]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
BrandyE

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies