turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I live with my girlfriend who is the mother of my 2 children. She has earned no income all year. Can I claim her as a dependent? All bills are paid from my income.

Girlfriend has not worked in 2017 at all and earned no income.  I have supported her and my 2 children and we have an agreement that I can claim her if it is possible.  I recently purchased a house this year and am hoping that this may be an option for a little extra support.  Thanks
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I live with my girlfriend who is the mother of my 2 children. She has earned no income all year. Can I claim her as a dependent? All bills are paid from my income.

You can claim a non-relative as a dependent on your tax return under the Qualifying Relative rules if they meet all the requirements under the rules.

To be a Qualifying Relative -

1. The person cannot be your qualifying child or the qualifying child of any other taxpayer. A child is not the qualifying child of any other taxpayer if the child's parent (or any other person for whom the child is defined as a qualifying child) is not required to file an income tax return or files an income tax return only to get a refund on income tax withheld.

2. The person either (a) must be related to you or (b) must live with you all year as a member of your household. 

3. The person's gross income for the year must be less than $4,050 (social security does not count) in 2017

4. You must provide more than half of the person's total support for the year.

5. The person must be a U.S. citizen or a U.S., Canada, or Mexico resident for some part of the year.

6. The person must not file a joint return with their spouse.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Did she live with you all of 2017?

Yes she did, she's lived with me for years but I haven't thought about claiming her until someone suggested it.

You may be able to amend for 2014, 2015 and 2016 to claim her. Earlier years are time-barred.

That's awesome news!  Thank you so much!

You can claim a non-relative as a dependent on your tax return under the Qualifying Relative rules if they meet all the requirements under the rules.

To be a Qualifying Relative -

1. The person cannot be your qualifying child or the qualifying child of any other taxpayer. A child is not the qualifying child of any other taxpayer if the child's parent (or any other person for whom the child is defined as a qualifying child) is not required to file an income tax return or files an income tax return only to get a refund on income tax withheld.

2. The person either (a) must be related to you or (b) must live with you all year as a member of your household. 

3. The person's gross income for the year must be less than $4,050 (social security does not count) in 2017

4. You must provide more than half of the person's total support for the year.

5. The person must be a U.S. citizen or a U.S., Canada, or Mexico resident for some part of the year.

6. The person must not file a joint return with their spouse.

Thank you so much for the information.  I looked on the help log but it only referenced relatives.  This helps immensely!
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies