turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sh9mr

I became a legal guardian of my niece 12/8/17. Am I able to claim this dependent on my 2017 taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I became a legal guardian of my niece 12/8/17. Am I able to claim this dependent on my 2017 taxes?

So she has only lived with you for several weeks in 2017.  In order to claim her as a dependent in 2017 she would have to live with you for at least half of 2017.

IRS interview to help determine who can be claimed:

https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/who-can-i-claim-as-a-dependent

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3113432-who-can-i-claim-as-my-dependent  

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

9 Replies

How long has she lived with you in 2017?
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

and did either of her parents live with you?
sh9mr

I became her legal court appointed guardian 12/8/17.

Does she live with you?  If so, when did she begin living with you?
sh9mr

Neither of her parents live or have lived with me ever.  My niece lives with me and has since 12/3/17.

So she has only lived with you for several weeks in 2017.  In order to claim her as a dependent in 2017 she would have to live with you for at least half of 2017.

IRS interview to help determine who can be claimed:

https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/who-can-i-claim-as-a-dependent

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3113432-who-can-i-claim-as-my-dependent  

sh9mr

Thank you everyone for the help!

You are welcome.  Hope it all goes well for you and your niece!

Sorry, you cannot, as she did not live with you more than 50% of 2017.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies